Pleasant circuit from Pernand-Vergelesses, one of the most picturesque villages in Côte de Beaune, with typical monuments and producing subtle fruity white wines and ruby red wines with exquisite scents of red fruits.General Information :
Points of interest :famous vineyards (red and white Grands Crus) ; views over Pernand Vergelesses
Start: Pernand-Vergelesses, 7 km from Beaune by the D18
Parking: At the bottom of the village, on the D18, after the roundabout, Place de la Gare (the old boneshaker)
Distance: about 6 km
Duration: about 2 hours
Height gained: 190 m
Markers: directional posts and paint marks on various objects (walls, trees, ground etc).
Restrictions: Avoid in hot weather.
TAKE CARE during the hunting season (September till end-February) and official culls.
"Step by step" :
- Leaving the car park 1, take the road left (towards the village) and then, in about 50 m, the road on the right (no entry for cars). At the cafe, turn left on the paved road (no vehicles allowed).
- At the substation, follow on the right the path which is barely marked at the start, heading down along a stone wall.
- At the bottom, go right past the settling ponds on the right of the path, then, to the left, a water intake. On reaching the road, turn left.
- At the cross (post P70), leave the Chemin des Grands Crus and turn left onto a small tarmac road (uphill: great view of Pernand-Vergelesses) 2.
- After approximately 300 m, turn right on the metalled path skirting Corton Hill. You’re in the middle of Corton-Charlemagne. At the cross, there’s a beautiful view of the whole vineyard: to the left, nestling in the trees, Aloxe-Corton and, opposite, in the background, Beaune 3.
- At the first trees, take the small lane to the left and continue straight on 4.
- At the end of the climb 5, before an old lime tree, go right on the road. Still following this road, enter Corton Wood.
- On leaving the forest, heading towards the vineyards (Hautes Côtes de Beaune), you arrive at a paved road that you continue along on the left (post P69). After approximately 150 m, turn left along a path heading into the wood 6.
Continue straight ahead, ignoring the logging tracks, and emerge in a vineyard (note: not the first one, but the second larger vineyard).
- Head down to the right of it along a fairly furrowed path. At the bottom, cross two tarmac roads (take care) and go straight ahead on a road with a sign "Interdit 5 t" (no vehicles over 5 tons).
- Head up the valley and continue straight ahead, ignoring the path on the left 7.
- Reaching the top 8, head down the tarmac road, then head left up the little tarmac road. After the barrier, cross the meadows to reach the oratory of Notre Dame de Bonne Espérance (Our Lady of Good Hope) 9.
- At the monument, to the right when looking towards Beaune and Pernand-Vergelesses, take the small path towards the edge of the woods. Keep to this path as far as the edge of the woods.
- Then turn right and come out at the tarmac road which you take to the left. Head down this road which leads to Pernand-Vergelesses.
- On entering the village, at the cross and the Magny Les Villers road, on the left, source and statue of the "Mother Fountain" 10 (post P3). Soon after, still heading down, you will see a first wash-house.
- Continue straight ahead, passing the church 11 and continue along the same road which turns slightly to the right 12.
- At the second wash-house, turn left and then immediately right.
You’re back at the starting point.
- Difference in height
- 187.9 m
- 188 meters of difference in height