On 04 November 2015
A brief history…It was built by François Sorine between 1825 and 1835 to make up for the shortcomings of the area’s two water mills of Santenay. This mill used a new milling technique called "à la Parisienne", which involved remilling the grain. But with the new railway and increased competition from the flour mills, the mill was sold in 1863 and the building gradually fell into disrepair.
Rebirth of the mill in SantenayFrom 1990 to 1995, the mill was restored, the 12-tonne cowl and linked axles were completely refurbished and covered with chestnut tiles. The millstones weigh almost 4 tonnes and the span of the sails, covered with canvas when running, is 14.5 m.
The mill is today put back into service every 3rd Sunday in June, during a great festival that mixes folklore and tradition that will appeal to young and old alike.
Visiting the Sorine Mill in SantenayTours of the mill, by appointment, can be arranged all year round for groups and individuals.
Information: Tourist Agency
And don’t miss the panoramic views of the Santenay vineyards from the Sorine mill.